Lodge your Medicare claim online
Rather than queue at your local Medicare Office to make your claim, you can now lodge a claim for certain items online and have it paid straight into your bank account. But what exactly can you claim for?
If your doctor’s practice doesn’t provide the option to claim there and then you may be able to submit your claim online. The following item numbers can currently be claimed online:
• Item 3 - Consultation - Level ‘A’
• Item 23 - Consultation - Level 'B'
• Item 36 - Consultation - Level 'C'
• Item 53 - Standard Consultation
• Item 5020 - Consultation at consulting rooms - Level 'B' (after hours)
To find your item number, simply check the account given to you by your doctor.
You can claim a maximum of $250 per day or $550 per 30 days for each Medicare card or bank account.
So, where to start? Log on to Medicare’s Online Services, you may need to register if you haven’t already done so.
You will then be asked to enter the following details before confirming all information provided is correct and submitting your claim:
• the patient and payment details for your claim
• the doctor’s details (e.g. provider number and name)
• the service details (e.g. item number)
Once your claim is approved, your rebate will be paid directly into your bank account, within two to three working days.
For more information or to view an online tutorial, visit Medicare.gov.au.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles