Overseas pensions

YOURLifeChoices subscriber Ronnie is based in the US and would like to know more about claiming an Australian Age Pension from across the pond and not being liable for tax.

Q. Ronnie
I’m looking for information on Australian pensions being paid while living in America, in particular about not having to pay taxes. Can you help me please?

A. You should start by reading Centrelink’s fact sheet on the Social Security Agreement between the US and Australia, which should answer most of your questions. Centrelink also has an international number which you can call from the US and a customer service advisor will be able to give you any further information you need.

In regards to tax liability on pensions paid overseas, the Australian Tax Office has information for Seniors and Retirees.

Written by Debbie McTaggart