Is my friend, and carer, eligible for a carer’s allowance?

Font Size:

John wants to know what benefits his friend is entitled to for caring for him.


Q. John
I am a Vietnam veteran. I am totally and permanently incapacitated, and I receive a war pension. My friend is taking care of me. Is he entitled to a carer’s pension?

A. There are a range of rules regarding eligibility for a carer allowance relating to both your own situation and your carer’s situation.

Carers must be providing additional daily care and attention to someone because they either have a disability or severe illness or are frail aged. By the sound of things, it seems your friend meets the requirements for care.

But, in addition to this, he must also meet the requirements of the income test. To receive the Carer Allowance, he and his partner’s combined adjusted taxable income must be under $250,000 a year.

As well as meeting those requirements, the person receiving care must meet all of the following:

  • score high enough on the Adult Disability Assessment Determination 2018 (ADAT)
  • be likely to have the illness or disability for at least 12 months, unless it’s terminal
  • get care from the carer in their home, the carer’s home or in hospital.

A Centrelink Financial Services officer will be able to explain whether your friend is eligible for the payment. He can contact an officer by calling 13 2300.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.


How to know if you qualify for the carer’s allowance

Rosario is caring for a husband with dementia and wants to know if she can be compensated.

Winners and losers from Centrelink’s July changes

Centrelink is scrapping one payment, refusing to backdate another: are you affected?

Carer relationship determines size of payment

The type of relationship you have with your carer will decide what they are paid.

Written by Ben


Sign-up to the YourLifeChoices Enewsletter

continue reading

Superannuation News

Super fund recovery steps up pace

Long-term trends such as the digitisation or economies and work automation, which have been sped up by the COVID-19 pandemic,...

Finance News

Financial advisers lobby for permanent reduction in regulation

The financial services sector wants consumer protection laws watered down, claiming they are pushing the cost of financial advice beyond...

Legal & General

Is there a safe way to block estranged child from will?

Can Angie block an estranged daughter from her will without consigning her other children to a drawn-out challenge after her...


How to stop gas pain

It’s normal to have some gas. But if the gas can’t easily get out, you may feel uncomfortable and bloated....


Crumbed Chicken Three Ways

Discover how to make crumbed chicken with three different toppings, so you’re never short of a recipe again. Ingredients Main...


Over 50s to receive COVID jab earlier than expected

Australians over the age of 50 could soon receive the AstraZeneca vaccine earlier than expected after the states and territories agreed...


Signs you order too much stuff online

Online shopping can be a dangerous hobby. A few absent-minded clicks on a lazy Sunday morning can empty your bank...

Food and Recipes

Vegetarian Biryani with a twist

Created by Iraqi chef Dhuha from Eat Offbeat, the New York catering company that employs refugees who have resettled in...