Age Pension reporting requirements

YOURLifeChoices member Brian would like to know if he and his wife have to keep reporting his income now he has been granted an Age Pension.

Q. Brian
I have just been allocated an Age Pension although I still work on a part-time contract. My wife is on a Disability Support Pension and until now, she has been ringing Centrelink every fortnight to disclose my income so that Centrelink could make any adjustments in her entitlements.

My questions are: 

  1. Does my wife need to keep ringing Centrelink to disclose my income even though I receive the same wage every fortnight?
  2. Do I need to ring Centrelink every fortnight to disclose my income now that I am on an Age Pension?

A. The Centrelink payments which you both receive require income reporting. However, should your income not change between reporting periods, then you need only report the income initially and advise Centrelink as and when there is any change.

Should your income not be the same each reporting period, you can simplify the process by arranging with Centrelink that one of you can report for both, i.e. your wife can report her earnings and yours. To do this you should contact Centrelink on 13 2300.

If you find that you are on the phone for some time just to report your earnings, then you may find it useful to register for Centrelink Online Services. You can find out how to do this, watch a tutorial and discover what else you can do to save time on the phone by reading YOURLifeChoices guide – Centrelink online services explained

Written by Debbie McTaggart