Is help available to grandparents?

Martha has heard she may be eligible for some payments and services as a carer for her grandchildren and wants to know what is involved.


Q. Martha
A friend of mine recently mentioned that she received assistance from Centrelink for looking after her grandchildren. Who is eligible for this assistance and what services are you able to access?

A. Centrelink has advisers to help grandparents who provide ongoing care for children. The key requirement is that the care is ongoing, which is more than just helping parents with babysitting or school pick-ups.

Centrelink’s Grandparent Advisers may be able to secure extra help such as child care assistance, healthcare and Medicare.

The advisers are also able to give you all the relevant information to meet your needs as a grandparent carer and refer you to federal, state and community services. They can also book you appointments with social workers and financial information service officers.

If you believe you may be eligible for a service or payment as a grandparent carer, you can check using Centrelink’s Payment and Service Finder.

If you are eligible, you can apply using your Centrelink online account through myGov. When you apply you will need to provide Centrelink with documents to support your claim, including formal agreements such as court orders or care arrangements for each child and dates, times and documents that show a child is in your care, such as school attendance and health records.

To find out what payments you might be able to access in your situation you can call Centrelink’s Grandparent Adviser line on 1800 245 965.

Do you have question regarding the Age Pension or other Centrelink benefits?

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
Is there a better way to do pensions?
Calls to scrap pension means test
What happens when you go OS?

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Ben


Centrelink Q&A: Is there a better way to decide on pensions?

Len details how Danes handle the pension and asks whether Australia should do the same.

Mercer slams means test, strongly urges universal age pension

‘With a universal age pension, Australians will have an incentive to save for retirement,' says

What happens to your pension when you go OS for six weeks?

Elmarie was told her pension payments will stop if she leaves Australia for more than six weeks,