Rent assistance for mooring

John lives on a boat and wants to know if he is eligible for rent assistance.


Q. John
I understand Centrelink pays rent assistance for boat mooring. I live full time on a boat but can’t afford a permanent marina berth (who can?), so only stay in public marinas for one or two weeks a month. Is there any assistance for a pensioner who pays, maybe, $500 a month but not on a permanent basis?

A. Mooring rights, which are payable at regular intervals, are considered rent. Rent assistance will be payable if the rent threshold is exceeded.

You must pay a minimum amount of rent before you can be paid rent assistance. This minimum amount is called the rent threshold. 

The rent assistance threshold as at 20 September 2019 means that no rent assistance will be paid if the fortnightly rent is less that $123.20 for singles, or $199.40 for couple.

For every $1 of rent (or mooring rights in this case) that you pay in excess of the rent threshold you will receive $0.75 in rent assistance, up to a maximum amount of $138 for singles and $130 for each member of an eligible couple.

In your case, if we assume that you are single and paying $250 per fortnight in mooring rights, we deduct the threshold amount of $123.20 from the $250 to be left with $126.80, and then multiply that amount by $0.75. In this situation, you would be eligible for $95.10 in rent assistance, assuming you met all the other criteria.

Do you have question regarding the Age Pension or other Centrelink benefits?

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
What if the kids pay the mortgage?
Tax changes for older workers?
Is there a better way to do pensions?

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.