Nominate or be nominated to carry the Queen’s baton around Australia.
Today sees the Queen’s Baton leave Buckingham Palace, aptly enough on Commonwealth Day, en route to the Gold Coast for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
The Queen’s Baton Relay will travel through all Commonwealth nations and territories on a 388-day journey, before arriving in Australia on 25 December. The Baton Relay will then take 100 days to travel around Australia, before it reaches its Gold Coast destination for the Games opening ceremony on 4 April 2018.
And this is where you come in. Across Australia, 3800 batonbearers are required to help the baton on its journey. Until 15 May 2017, you can nominate anyone who you think is worthy of carrying the baton on a small part of its journey. Potential batonbearers should:
- have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- be at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- be an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018)
The baton will carry a message from Queen Elizabeth II that will be read out at the opening ceremony, to be held at Carrara Stadium.
If you know someone who deserves the honour of being a batonbearer, you can make a nomination at gc2018.com/qbr
Congratulations Queen Elizabeth II
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles