Reflect and reset for 2015

It seemed just yesterday that we were celebrating the coming of a new year and the wonders that could be offered by 2014. We have laughed, we have cried, we have seen acts of extreme cruelty, but also acts of immense kindness. When I consider the past year in review, I feel blessed to have been born and raised in Australia.

We only have a small amount of time to live our lives. As we all have been affected by the sudden passing of a friend or family member taken too soon, we know all too well that tomorrow could very well be our last day. So why waste it? The end of a year is the perfect trigger to reflect on what you have achieved in the past year and to set life goals and challenges going forward.

My strategy for tackling this task is very simple. I start by writing down the moments which made me happy over the year. I then write down the moments which have upset me. I then take five minutes to reflect on all these moments and how they really affected me. At this point, I pull out my list of goals from the previous year and tick off the items I achieved and reflect on why the others were not actioned. This allows me to learn what I want most in my life going forward and paves the way for my goals for the next year.

Setting my goals for the following year, I always put an outlandish goal at the top of my list, such as finding and settling down with a girlfriend. My goals then become more achievable by identifying and writing down the one place I want to travel to that year and the one activity outside my comfort zone, such as learning an instrument, public speaking or swimming with sharks, which I want to challenge myself to conquer.

I finish my list off with several personal goals, be it saving $x over the next six months to invest in property, spending at least two nights every week at the gym or simply allocating two hours every week to see a movie with friends.

2015 holds unlimited potential and life is what you make it. I’ll leave you with one of my favourite quotes which always seems to inspire me when I’m feeling at my lowest:

Don’t just look, observe.
Don’t just swallow, taste.
Don’t just sleep, dream.
Don’t just think, feel.
Don’t just exist, LIVE.

Written by Drew

Starting out as a week of work experience in 2005 while studying his Bachelor of Business at Swinburne University, Drew has never left his post and has been with the company ever since, working on the websites digital needs. Drew has a passion for all things technology which is only rivalled for his love of all things sport (watching, not playing).
LinkedIn
Email

SPONSORED LINKS

LOADING MORE ARTICLE...