When does deeming apply?

Harry is confused about the dates deeming rates are applied in the income assessment and wants some clarification on the rules.


Q. Harry
I am an age pensioner and a little confused on how to work out the deeming amount on an investment that may change during a financial year. For example, an investment may be valued at $100,000 on 1 July but after drawdown may only be valued at, say, $80,000 on 1 January. Is the start date for deeming calculations the first day of the financial year, or for investment balances on the last day of the financial year? If it commences on the first day of the financial year, is it calculated daily or fortnightly? When official deeming rates alter within the financial year, does the new rate apply for the whole of the financial year or only from the date that it changed?

A. Normally investments are valued on 20 March and 20 September each year.

However, due to the unusual circumstances caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, investments were also valued on 1 June this year to account for the downturn in financial markets.

Services Australia will get the new values from the latest unit prices they have or will ask you for the latest values, if required.

When deeming rates alter throughout the year, the government will announce when the new rates apply from. The last change to deeming rates took effect on 1 May this year.

Are your investments worth less due to the COVID-19 pandemic? Have you started receiving higher pension payments as a result?

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Ben


Government and community support you should know about

Support payments, Age Pension updates, Robo-debt refunds, free travel and more.

Pension Supplement: What is it for and how much should you get?

The Pension Supplement has been paid to those on certain pensions since September 2009.

What happens to your pension if you get married and travel?

John wants to know what happens to his overseas pension payment if he gets married.