Can I share an inheritance with my siblings?

Font Size:

Jeff* receives an Age Pension and has been named as the sole beneficiary in a relative’s will. He asks estate planning lawyer Rod Cunich to explain any ramifications if he were to share the inheritance with siblings.


Q. Jeff: I am an age pensioner and have been named as the sole beneficiary in an aged relation’s will. The will is unlikely to be challenged, but I have the following questions.

Question 1.
Is it possible to advise the solicitor that as the sole beneficiary and executor, I want a certain percentage of the inheritance diverted to my two siblings, so that they, too, can enjoy a benefit?

A. Theoretically, the answer is yes, but the solicitor may require you to execute a Family Settlement Deed that sets out your wishes to avoid any dispute in the future. If the inheritance is paid to you in cash, you can then pass it on to your other family members without the need for this arrangement. If the inheritance involves property, then there could be capital gains tax and stamp duty implications to consider.

Question 2.
If so, to what extent will that affect the siblings for tax purposes?

A. If they receive cash which is a gift from the deceased or you it has no taxation implications for them. If the assets involve a transfer of property or shares (anything that may attract Capital Gains Tax then the answer to your question can only be determined by a lawyer who has all the information.

Question 3.
Will there be any negative impact on me by opting to share the inheritance with my siblings? The inheritance will, as I see it, allow me to buy a new home and a few more comforts in life, but I really want my siblings to enjoy some of the benefits as well.

A. If you receive an Age Pension and other entitlements, it is important that you consult a financial expert to find out what effect an inheritance might have. (Ed: Information here.)

Question 4.
I have heard there is an option for a ‘secret bestowment’ where the sole beneficiary feels it only fair to share some of an inheritance? Is that right?

A. That is a moral, social and family issue, not a legal one.

Question 5.
Will gifting rules come into play?

A. If you mean for the purposes of assessing your Age Pension, the answer is yes. (Ed: General information here.) I recommend you see a specialist estate planning solicitor who can provide tailored advice.

*Not his real name

These answers are general information only, not specific legal advice. You should not rely on these answers without specific advice from an expert who can review all the relevant documents and circumstances.

Rod Cunich is a lawyer with more than 30 years’ experience in estate planning. If you have a question for Rod, email it to [email protected].

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Disclaimer: This information has been provided by Rod Cunich and should be considered general in nature. Seek legal advice before acting on this information.

Join YourLifeChoices today
and get this free eBook!

By joining YourLifeChoices you consent that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy


Can you create an effective will without seeking legal advice?

Arty wants to know if he can create a will without the help of a lawyer.

An alternative to drawing on your super in a downturn

If you're worried about your super in these turbulent times, it might be time to take another look

How to ensure you get a refund for cancelled travel or events

The ACCC has issued advice for consumers when events, flights or travel services are cancelled.


Total Comments: 4
  1. 0

    In a similar situation, my brother arranged for the solicitor to draw up a Deed of Agreement signed by all parties. As the distribution came directly from the estate he was not affected by Centrelink gifting rules.

  2. 0

    I think he can give $15’000 to each sibling ($30’000 max in 5 years) without affecting his age pension, or has that also changed? Hard to keep up sometimes.

  3. 0

    A poor reply. The centrelink rules are fairly clear for the above so YLC should have answered the questions completely and properly !!



continue reading

Travel News

Travel refund problems a 'dreadful, dreadful situation': ACCC boss

Travel-related consumer complaints have risen by 500 per cent since January 2020, with thousands of Australians unable to get refunds...

Aged Care

Whistle-blower family welcomes aged care recommendations

When Barb Spriggs found her husband lying on the ground of the Oakden aged care facility with two nurses standing...


How do different painkillers work?

It's easy to assume the only difference between painkillers is their strength. Or that any painkiller you can buy without...

Food and Recipes

Cinnamon and Honey Breakfast Jars

"If you have to be up early and you need something speedy, this is the perfect go-to breakfast," says Bake...

Aged Care

It starts with the fundamentals: adequate staffing, adequate food

There have been 22 public reports and inquiries related to publicly funded aged care in Australia since 1997. Will this...


Government reveals details of unit established to bust vaccine myths

With 300,000 doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine arriving in Australia on Sunday, the rollout is starting to speed up,...


Making it easy to buy Australian

Research shows that since the pandemic an overwhelming number of Australians want to buy locally produced products to support the...


What your car costs - the surprising costs of driving a ute or SUV

Recent research by Finder shows Australians could be paying thousands of dollars more than necessary to keep their car running....