PCC rules and eligibility

Age pensioner Kim has received a Pensioner Concession Card with his partner’s name on it, even though she’s not on the Age Pension. He thinks it’s a mistake. Is it?


Q. Kim
If the age pension concession card has the partner’s name showing on the card, is the partner also entitled to concessions?

A. Yes, this is the norm. Because you are assessed as a couple, your wife is also entitled to receive concessions on health services on PBS medication. Bulk billing and reduced rate medical appointments are at the discretion of the provider, as are many of the other concessions that you will be entitled to yourself.

Pensioner Concession Cards are issued by Centrelink to those receiving an Age Pension, Disability Support Pension or Carer Payment.

You may also be eligible for a Pensioner Concession Card if you are over 60 and have been receiving any of the following payments for at least nine months: Newstart Allowance, Sickness Allowance, Widow Allowance, Special Benefit, or Partner Allowance.

You may be able to retain your Pensioner Concession Card for up to 12 months if you stop receiving your Centrelink payment due to the commencement of paid employment.

As the holder of a Pensioner Concession Card, you are entitled to reduced-cost medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and various state and territory government concessions, such as reductions on property and water rates, energy bills, motor vehicle registration and public transport. State and territory governments and local councils offer different concessions.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
Pension boost unlikely to help many
Jack’s deeming rate dilemma
‘Why was my pension cut?’

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Ben


Pension boost is unlikely to help many older Australians

Freedom of Information documents reveal the change to deeming rates is insignificant.

Centrelink Q&A: Deeming rate dilemma

Jack wants to know which of his investments may be exempt from deeming rates.

‘Why has my pension payment been reduced?’

Max's pension has been cut from $574 a fortnight to just $220, and he wants to know why.