Q&A – John’s self-funded super

Q. We are going to be self-funded retirees next year when I turn 60 years of age. Does this allow us to be eligible for a health care and concession card?

A. Many self-funded retirees will be eligible for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC). To be eligible you have to be of Age Pension age and with a taxable income under $50,000 for singles and $80,000 for couples or $100,000 for couples separated by illness. There is no asset test for the CSHC. You can read a number of fact sheets on the Department of Families and Community Services website. This should give you a basic idea of what you may be entitled to and the eligibility criteria you need to meet. You can also get more information from the YOURLifeChoices’ Centrelink page