Q&A – Lost Superannuation

Richard Sheargold answers John’s question about where he might go to look for some old superannuation money.

Q. John
From February 1981 to December 1984, I was employed in NSW as a hospital laundry manager and then again from February 1985 to November 1985. During this time, I believe that I paid the normal superannuation as required. When I retired due to ill health in November 1985, however, I am unaware if I withdrew my super at that time. Can you please advise me as to whom I can get in touch with to receive an answer to my query.

A. It sounds like you were employed by the State Government of the time. Now back then super wasn’t compulsory; however, I am certain the State Government had the State Super scheme going. You have two options as I see it. Firstly, you could contact State Super at http://www.statesuper.nsw.gov.au/default.htm . They may be able to search for you. Alternatively, you may be able to search through the lost super website http://www.findmysuper.com.au/.

Leave a Reply

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

The Indian Pacific

Q&A – going away