Will I get any carbon tax compensation?

YOURLifeChoices member Belinda is a self-funded retiree who has received no compensation under the Household Assistance Package and can’t believe that this is correct.

Q. Belinda
I am a self-funded retiree aged 61 years of age. I have a Low Income Health Care Card and a modest allocated pension. What can I expect to receive as an offset against the carbon tax driven increased costs?

A. The first payments have already been made under the Household Assistance Package. Self-funded retirees who hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) should have received a one-off payment of $250 for singles and $190 for each eligible member of a couple. For more information on the payments made to holders of a CSHC, read the article The Carbon Tax: What’s in it for self-funded retirees.

If you have received no compensation under this scheme, then you may be eligible for the Low Income Supplement. This is an annual payment of $300 made to those qualify, but you must claim the payment each year. Find out more about the Low Income Supplement

Written by Debbie McTaggart