What counts as income for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card?

Font Size:

Vicki wants to know if she and her husband are eligible for the CSHC but doesn’t know how their payments from their superannuation funds are assessed.


Q. Vicki
Both my husband and I are 67 years old, retired and receive fortnightly payments from our superannuation funds. What we would like to know is if we would be eligible to apply for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) and what constitutes income in this instance when we submit our application. We also have income from an investment property of approximately $15,000 each and no other forms of income. Are we going to qualify for the CSHC as we are not registered for any other payments from Centrelink?

A. The income test for the CSHC will look at both your adjusted taxable income and a deemed amount from account-based income streams.

Account-based income streams include account-based pensions and account-based annuities. The balance of an account-based income stream is subject to deeming.

Deeming assumes that financial investments are earning a certain rate of income.

The income deemed by Centrelink to be received from financial assets is then added to income that you may receive by any other means, in this case your investment property.

Taxable income is your gross income minus allowable deductions. It’s the income you have to pay tax on. It includes income from your investment property.

Income under the tax-free threshold still counts as taxable income.

To pass the income test, you must earn no more than the following:

  • $55,808 a year if you’re single
  • $89,290 a year for couples
  • $111,616 a year for couples separated by illness, respite care or prison.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Join YourLifeChoices today
and get this free eBook!

By joining YourLifeChoices you consent that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy


Are electricity companies trying to fudge concessions?

Mary has been told concessions don't apply to her and she wants answers.

What are the differences between concession cards?

Are the Pensioner Concession Card and the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card different?

Government and community support you should know about

Support payments, Age Pension updates, Robo-debt refunds, free travel and more.

Written by Ben


Total Comments: 12
  1. 0

    Do you have to apply for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, or is it issued automatically by Centrelink?

  2. 0

    I realise this is outside the context of this forum however was wondering if anyone had any experience applying for the $5000- Qld govt, so called Senior’s and Accessibility renovations program. It ostensibly “will support works of up to $5,000 for safety, repairs, maintenance, and security works.
    See here

    • 0

      johnp – yes, I applied for it. Applications have closed (I THINK they closed around end of July). And quite simply, it is really a bit of a shimozzle. I rang and applied for it 8 weeks ago, and after going through the required questions, was told – yes, you are eligible. I was then told my local coordinator (for the scheme) would contact me within 2 weeks to arange someone to come out to discuss requirements. I have still not heard anything.
      So last week I spent considerable time on the phone following this up. NOW I am told that my local area looking after this grant, will contact me to tell me if I qualify. Seems that each area is given a certain amount of money, and when that money runs out – tough for those still on the list. Not each area gets the same amount of money.

    • 0

      I have had similar experience. An email I received basically said as follows

      Thank you for your enquiry about the Seniors and Accessibility Assistance initiative. We received an overwhelming response and applications have now closed. You will be contacted in relation to the outcome of your enquiry.
      If you would like to be notified of any similar initiatives in the future, please reply to this message: YES.
      For more info go to
      So of course I replied with YES.
      I believe the nature of this initiative is in my opinion quite misleading and bordering on fraudulent.

    • 0

      John – Yes, got the same email and think the same about this scheme as you. I suppose it’s another scheme with an amount allocated, but most of the money will be chewed up by ‘admin fees’.
      I’d really like to know how many people actually get this grant, as opposed to those who applied.

    • 0

      Someone I know wrote to their local member about this issue. Do not think they have had a response so far.
      It is unconscionable for a govt to announce and chest thump about giving such largesse, when in reality it is only available to a very small minority who apply right at the beginning.

  3. 0

    With the lower deeming rates (0.25% on first 88 k and 2.25% thereafter), which includes super balances, it is also worth investigating getting the Lower Income Health Care Card as, usually, more state/ territory discounts than the Comm Seniors card. ($985 pw for couples to initally get the card).

    • 0

      Good advice, Garyand. Had one of those before adjusting all my affairs at 65 when I applied for a part pension. Cheaper prescriptions, electricity discounts. My council did not recognise it though for a rate reductions. Was told some councils do.

  4. 0

    Our 35 y.o. Hot water system failed
    Called for quotes and also Home Assist to see if they could assist
    They said they could, but only one plumber in our area could be used
    That plumber would only install electric unit
    On financial grounda, we accepted their help and new unit installed at ground level at a cost to Home Assist for $4,400. They would not remove old unit from roof.
    (Solarhart had quoted $4,800 t0 replace solar unit on our roof)
    We are thankful that we do have hot water, but would have preferred solar and would have paid difference if we could.

    • 0

      Seems very high to me. We had our electric water heater replaced, was 27 years old which was a good age according to the plumber. All up he charged me $1750 with removal of the old unit. Good to have some cash for jobs like that, he did not want a card payment for that price. The ATM was not too far away from the house.



continue reading


Top 10 myths and facts about toothpaste

Toothpaste is such a usual part of our everyday lives that we rarely think about it. Like many mainstream products,...


How to make your rented house or unit feel more like home

When you're renting, it's easy to feel that the freedom to really put your stamp on a place is out...

Living in retirement

The emotional aspects of moving house in retirement

In his four years as a retirement coach, Jon Glass has been helping older Australians navigate the emotional facets of...


Small bedroom tips to maximise space and style

For many of us, house space is a fiercely contested commodity, and you need to squeeze the most out of...


Aussies much more willing to be vaccinated than Americans

The United States has had nearly as many COVID-19 cases as Australia has people. More than 400,000 have died of...


Goldie Hawn at 75: The Hollywood star's fashion and beauty evolution

Goldie Hawn, one of Hollywood's most beloved stars, is famous as much for her acting talents as she is for...


US still reels from the deadly consequences of 'alternative facts'

Jennifer S. Hunt, Australian National University Every four years on January 20, the US exercises a key tenet of democratic...


Tennis stars call Australian Open quarantine 'insane' and like prison

Entitled, pampered, whingers. Elite sports professionals victims of the greatest overreaction to COVID-19 in the world. Those are the poles...

Finance News

RBA reveals why retirees have to bear the brunt of low interest rates

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) knows that the negative consequences of low interest rates disproportionately affect retirees, but believes...