This recipe is so simple that you can watch the news while you whip up a delicious meal. Discover how to jazz up a roast chicken with this Chicken and Tarragon Salad.
- 1 whole chicken, roasted. Pre-bought from the supermarket is fine.
- 10 stalks celery, washed, strung and finely sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions, washed and finely sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped.
- Mixed salad leaves (optional)
- Crusty bread (optional)
- 500 ml mayonnaise
- 500 ml natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 100 grans pine nuts, toasted
Combine all the ingredients for the salad dressing and refrigerate. This can be done ahead of time.
Pull the chicken off the bones and chop into rough pieces. Prepare the salad ingredients and toss the chicken, celery and spring onions together. Add one-and-a-half cups of the dressing and the tarragon leaves and combine well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Serve on a bed of mixed salad leaves or accompany with crusty bread for a light meal on a hot night.
Lisa Haddon is a qualified home economist, food stylist, recipe developer and food consultant. She operates her own catering and event management business, Aussie Food Fairies, and has done for over 20 years.
If you have any questions about this recipe, you can email Lisa with your query.
Or visit the Beatty Avenue Post Office & General Store, 15 Beatty Avenue Armadale Victoria, to try Lisa’s cooking for yourself.