Six deadly foods in your pantry

Do you keep these poisonous foods in your kitchen?

Six deadly foods in your pantry

Most of us assume that the food in our kitchens is safe to eat. However, most pantries contain these potentially fatal foods, and we don’t even realise it.

Apple seeds
Apple seeds contain a small amount on cyanide. While it would take the cyanide of around 200 apple seeds to become fatal, even small doses can harm your heart and brain. Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting and stomach cramps. It can cause respiratory failure, coma, cardiac arrest and death.

Microwave popcorn
Diacetyl is a chemical used to give microwave popcorn it’s buttery taste. It has been linked to respiratory conditions including ‘popcorn lung’ – scaring of lung tissue – in the workers who manufacturer it. While some microwavable popcorns use alternative flavouring chemicals, they likely still contain traces of diacetyl.

Red kidney beans
These beans contain phytohaemagglutinin, a toxin that can agglutinate red blood cells. This toxin is poisonous if not prepared correctly. Red kidney beans must be boiled for at least 10 minutes before being eaten. Cooking them for any less time or on a lower heat can leave them twice as toxic.

Tuna
Even in small amounts, mercury can harm your digestive, immune and nervous systems, as well as your lungs, kidneys, skin, eyes and brain. People are mainly exposed to methylmercury through eating fish, and tuna contains more mercury than most other fish. Australia and New Zealand’s Food Standards recommend eating no more than two to three servings of fish a week.  

Mushrooms
Mushrooms are a delicious and easy meat substitute that can be used in a variety of dishes. However, if you grow or pick your own mushrooms it’s essential that you know exactly what is and isn’t safe to eat. There are a number of poisonous mushrooms that look incredibly similar to edible ones, such as the deadly Amanita phalloides, also known as the death cap.

Nutmeg
While in small amounts nutmeg is safe to eat, it can be fatal in higher doses. It contains myristicin, an organic compound that can cause nausea, headaches, dizziness, hallucinations and even death.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

RELATED ARTICLES

    Disclaimer: This article contains general information about health issues and is not advice. For health advice, consult your medical practitioner.





    COMMENTS

    To make a comment, please register or login
    Ted Wards
    27th May 2020
    9:33am
    but eating fast food regularly is good for your health?
    Mariner
    27th May 2020
    10:05am
    Everything you care to eat will kill you eventually - so eat the things you like not just the food some people think you should. I regularly drink 4 glasses of red wine and people tell me the maximum should be two.
    Mootnell
    27th May 2020
    3:48pm
    Just don't have it with Nutmeg, Popcorn or Red kidney beans and you should be good to go, apparently :o)
    jan
    27th May 2020
    11:00am
    A little bit of everything does you good.
    ronloby
    27th May 2020
    12:32pm
    Eat all providing it is in moderation.
    Incognito
    27th May 2020
    7:16pm
    The word moderation means different amounts to every person.
    Janus
    27th May 2020
    3:17pm
    In the spirit of the one-liners, : Too much of anything is bad for something.
    KSS
    27th May 2020
    3:50pm
    Everything is bad for something or someone!
    Viking
    27th May 2020
    6:02pm
    Try eating red kidney beans after 10 minutes of cooking! They need 24 hours soaking and 40-60 minutes cooking. Brown rice contains arsenic as reputedlyL does chocolate. Toast is carcinogenic, lettuce and strawberries are said to contain toxins, and you can drown in too much beer, red wine, vodka or whisky. What a way to go!
    Incognito
    27th May 2020
    7:16pm
    I am surprised that people do not know all this already, soak your bean overnight or make sure you rinse the canned ones well. And who in their right mind would eat that much nutmeg or apple seeds to get poisoned, you need a huge amount. Would never touch microwave anything or canned fish, both I agree is not healthy, even though amounts of chemicals can be small, heavy metals can be stored in you body and accumulate.
    Tood
    28th May 2020
    12:00am
    Have I missed out in life? never had apple seeds in the pantry, what would you do with them?
    Incognito
    28th May 2020
    12:23am
    You would need a lot of apples to get poisoning from apple seeds, you don't do anything with them because you cannot buy them as far as I know. You will not die if you eat the whole apple, seeds and all, some juices will crush a whole apple too.


    Tags: poison, food,

    Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free

    • Receive our daily enewsletter
    • Enter competitions
    • Comment on articles