This easy all-in-one cake is perfect if you've got friends coming for coffee or afternoon tea.
This easy all-in-one Apple and Walnut Cake is perfect if you've got friends coming for coffee or afternoon tea. Serve with cream or ice-cream for a decadent afternoon treat!
Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 300g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 140g dark brown soft sugar
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 250ml rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 unpeeled apples, coarsely grated
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
For the icing
- 100g butter, softened
- 50g dark soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 200g tub full fat soft cheese
Preheat oven to 150ºC. Line two 20cm cake tins. Put the flour, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a big bowl, then stir in the sugars, making sure there are no lumps of sugar. Add the oil, eggs and apples, and beat everything together. Fold in the walnuts then divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. For the icing, beat all the ingredients together then chill until the mixture is thick but spreadable. Spread half the icing on top of one cake, sandwich with the other and spread the remaining icing on top. Serve with cream and enjoy!
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles