Maggie Beer’s Barossa Tomato Meatloaf is a nourishing way to eat red meat.
Maggie Beer’s Barossa Tomato Meatloaf is a nourishing way to eat red meat. Relatively simple to make, any leftover meatloaf can be frozen for another meal, making it incredibly budget-friendly
Sour Cream Pastry
- 125ml sour cream
- 250g plain flour
- 200g unsalted butter chilled
- 900g lean beef mince
- 400ml Traditional Tomato Sauce, plus extra for serving
- 2 free range eggs
- 6 mushrooms chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- To taste sea salt
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon marjoram chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme chopped
1. To prepare pastry, dice the butter and pulse with the flour in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sour cream and continue to pulse until the dough starts to incorporate into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Pre heat oven to 180°C. In a large glass or ceramic bowl combine meat, tomato sauce, eggs, mushrooms, onions and herbs and spices. Mix very well and pack into a large loaf pan or medium spring-form baking pan. Be sure to place the baking pan on a baking tray to catch excess cooking liquid. Bake at 180°C for one hour or until the meatloaf has shrunk away from the sides of the pan. Drain away the liquid and allow the loaf to cool before removing carefully from the baking pan.
3. Increase oven to 220°C. Roll out a large rectangle of pastry – it should be large enough to cover the whole meatloaf. Cover the top and sides of the meat loaf. Glaze the pastry with egg wash mixture before scoring a criss-cross pattern across the top. Bake at 220°C for an additional 30 minutes or until pastry is golden-brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving with extra Barossa Tomato Sauce. Serve with a salad to get your daily greens intake or simply enjoy it on its own.
We hope you enjoy Maggie’s recipe and, if you’d like to use her branded version of the products mentioned, you can find them in your local supermarket, or by visiting MaggieBeer.com.au.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles