This one-pot dish is low in fat, high in taste and healthy
Today’s Asian-inspired Beef and Broccoli Bowl is delicious for dinner or served cold for a picnic lunch. And the broccoli brings great nutritional benefits.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 400 grams cooked barley
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 200 grams beef tenderloin, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 250g broccoli florets
- 1 orange capsicum, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 60ml salt-reduced soy sauce
- 60ml salt-reduced beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cook barley according to package directions. Mix together soy sauce, beef stock, wasabi, lime juice, honey and pepper in a medium bowl. Blend in cornstarch to thicken sauce, stirring well to ensure it dissolves and set aside.
Heat canola oil in a hot pan and sear beef on a high heat for a couple of minutes at most on each side. Add the red wine and stir well. Add broccoli, capsicum, carrots, ginger, coriander and sauce. Reduce heat and fry until broccoli is tender.
Stir in the barley and cook for a further minute. Split between two bowls and serve.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles