If you’re a fan of no-fuss cooking, these Thai-style Chickpea and Corn Cakes are about as easy as it gets. Loaded with veggies and baked instead of fried, they’re healthier than other alternatives – and oh, so tasty, too! They make a wholesome meal when served with the salsa or a side salad, but can stand alone as a healthy snack, too.
Serves: 2 (4 cakes)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 medium head broccoli, grated
- kernels of 1 small ear of corn
- 1 shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 can chickpeas, drained and mashed
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- a handful of coriander, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
Preheat oven to 200°C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine carrot, broccoli, corn, shallots, garlic, ginger, chickpeas and flour (add in your chilli here as well, if you like).
Using your hands, thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Form four patties and place on baking tray.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden, turning patties after 10 minutes.
For the salsa, combine avocado, tomato, coriander and lime juice in a bowl and toss well. Serve the Thai cakes warm or cold with a good dollop of salsa and some sweet chilli sauce.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles