Don’t like to eat breakfast? Try drinking it instead.
Growing up, I was not allowed to leave the house for school without breakfast, and it had to be substantial: egg on toast, porridge or cereal and toast. There are many people for whom the thought of eating first thing in the morning is unpleasant, but medical opinion is that it is one of the most important meals of the day. A breakfast drink may just be the answer. These recipes from Brent Owens are intended to get you started but you will no doubt come up with your own combinations to start your day the perfect way.
Time: 10 minutes
Banana, Coconut, Mango and Lime Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 100ml coconut milk, chilled
- 1 mango, cheeks
- 1 lime, juiced
- dash natural yoghurt
- slice lime, for garnish
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into a glass, garnish with a piece of lime and serve.
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1cm piece of ginger, peeled
- 3 oranges, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Using a juicer, juice the pineapple and ginger and pour into clean glasses. Add the orange and lemon juice, torn mint leaves and sugar. Stir and serve.
- 1 bunch mint
- 70g baby English spinach, coarse stems removed, leaves washed
- 2 granny smith apples, quartered and cored
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- ice cubes
Push all the ingredients, except the ice, through a juicer. Put the ice cubes in glasses, pour the juice over and serve.
Recipe taken from Dig In! by Brent Owens
Roll up your sleeves, dust down the apron and dig in to Brent Owens’ new cookbook. Straight from the MasterChef kitchen, Brent shares his favourite dishes and his unique approach to reinventing classic recipes.
You can purchase Dig In! at cooked.com.
Published by Hardie Grant
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles