This Lemon and Yoghurt Cake is an easy recipe for is a tasty and refreshing afternoon delight. Try adding a dollop of cream on the side for something a little extra.
Serves: Eight to ten
Time: One hour 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (195g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain full-fat yoghurt
- 1 1/3 cups (275g) sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:
- 1 cup (125g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease and flour a 21 x 11 x 6cm loaf pan and line the bottom with baking paper.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the yoghurt, 1 cup of sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet.
Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the oil into the batter, incorporating well.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
While cake is in the oven, combine the 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar in a small pot over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear.
Allow cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Place the warm cake onto a baking rack over a baking tray. Pour the lemon mixture over the cake and allow to soak in while cooling.
For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.