Budget-friendly and packed full of protein and nutrients, why not put Mexican Refried Beans on the menu this week?
Inexpensive and super tasty, these Mexican Refried Beans go well served any time of the day. Serve over a bed of rice, warmed tortillas and top with an egg if so desired.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, stems and leaves divided, chopped
- 1 small jar of roasted peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 x 400 g tins of beans drained, such as cannellini, kidney, black
- 4 large eggs (optional)
- 1 lime
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frypan. Fry the garlic, chilli and coriander stalks for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden.
Add the beans along with the peppers, seasoning to taste. Over a low heat, cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crispy.
Poach or fry the eggs (optional).
Serve beans with the fresh coriander and lime, topping with optional egg.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles