Whenever a meal can be prepared in just one pan or saucepan, it’s a winner in our book. This simple pork dish is terrific, tasty and combines a great range of vegetables.
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 600g lean pork leg steaks, thinly sliced
- 300g cap mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 300g baby fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 150g asparagus, trimmed and halved crossways
- 150g English spinach, trimmed, leaves torn in half
- 1 cup small basil leaves
- 80g parmesan, finely grated
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the pork, mushroom, garlic, dried mixed herbs, fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and spinach and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, the pork is cooked through and the stock has reduced by half.
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir through the basil and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Serve topped with the parmesan.
Recipe taken from CSIRO Low-Carb Every Day, by Professor Grant Brinkworth and Penny Taylor
The CSIRO Low-carb Diet is based on strong scientific research that has successfully helped Australians lose weight and improve their overall health. Building on the success of the first book, this new volume will make implementing the diet at home easier than ever. Accessible, affordable and achievable, this is a fully researched approach to better eating and improved health from Australia’s peak science organisation.
You can buy CSIRO Low-Carb Every Day at Macmillan.com.au
Published by Pan Macmillan Australia