Our Simple Sweet Potato Chilli is hearty, delicious and easy on the purse strings.
Want a warming winter meal that’s hearty, delicious and easy on the purse strings? Then you’ll love today’s Simple Sweet Potato Chilli.
Time: 1.5 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into half-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced, or 1 heaped tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ground sea salt and black pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- sour cream
- scallions, sliced
- coriander, chopped
- grated cheese (optional)
Heat oil in a 4L stockpot and sauté the onion, capsicum and sweet potatoes on medium-high heat. Cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions become translucent.
Turn down heat to medium-low. Add the garlic, spices, tomatoes, beans and broth, and stir. Cover and cook for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally. It’s ready once the sweet potatoes are soft and the liquid has reduced.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with sour cream, scallions, coriander and cheese. Serve in individual bowls.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles