We take a look at the five best movie quotes of all time.
Did you know that “Play it again Sam” – quite possibly the most famous movie quote of all time, never played on the big screen? Here are the other most famous movie quotes of all time – do you agree?
Well, we had a look around, and everyone has a different opinion. There are film buffs who believe Rutger Hauer’s classic line from Blade Runner, “All those moments will be lost in time… like tears in rain", is number one. Others feel that the timeless, although incredibly overdone, 007 introduction, “Bond. James Bond”, wears the crown. Or what about the creepy Psycho spiel spouted by Anthony Perkins, "A boy's best friend is his mother"? Great line yes, but the greatest?
All are undoubtedly classic lines, famous in their own right. But the top five greatest movie quotes of all time, according to The American Film Institute, truly earn the moniker of ‘classic’. Here they are.
1. “Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.”
Clark Gable, Gone with the Wind – 1939
2. “I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.”
Marlon Brando, The Godfather – 1972
3. “You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.”
Marlon Brando, On the Waterfront – 1954
4. “Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.”
Judy Garland, The Wizard of Oz – 1939
5. “Here's looking at you, kid.”
Humphrey Bogart, Casablanca – 1942
Which quote from the list is your favourite? Or do you have a different favourite movie quote of all time?
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles