- Glass takes one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times.
- Gold is the only metal that doesn’t rust, even if it’s buried in the ground for thousands of years.
- Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.
- If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. When a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.
- Zero is the only number that cannot be represented by Roman numerals.
- Kites were used in the American Civil War to deliver letters and newspapers.
- The song, Auld Lang Syne, is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in the new year.
- Drinking water after eating reduces the acid in your mouth by 61 percent.
- Peanut oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn’t smoke unless it’s heated above 230F.
- The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.
- Nine out of every 10 living things live in the ocean.
- The banana cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of man.
- Airports at higher altitudes require a longer airstrip due to lower air density.
- The University of Alaska spans four time zones.
- The tooth is the only part of the human body that cannot heal itself.
- In ancient Greece, tossing an apple to a girl was a traditional proposal of marriage. Catching it meant she accepted.
- Warner Communications paid $28 million for the copyright to the song Happy Birthday.
- Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
- A comet’s tail always points away from the sun.
- The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent.
- Caffeine increases the power of aspirin and other painkillers, that is why it is found in some medicines.
- The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armor raised their visors to reveal their identity.
- If you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and look up, you can see stars, even in the middle of the day.
- When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first sense lost is sight.
- In ancient times strangers shook hands to show that they were unarmed.
- Strawberries are the only fruits whose seeds grow on the outside.
- Avocados have the highest calories of any fruit at 167 calories per hundred grams.
- The moon moves about two inches away from the Earth each year.
- The Earth gets 100 tons heavier every day due to falling space dust.
- Due to earth’s gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters.
- Mickey Mouse is known as “Topolino” in Italy.
- Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down.
- Everything weighs one percent less at the equator.
- For every extra kilogram carried on a space flight, 530 kg of excess fuel are needed at lift-off.
- The letter J does not appear anywhere on the periodic table of the elements.
Exercise for over 50s
Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.
With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.
Each day you’ll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.
Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I’m at this level.)
After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.