Carer Payments

The Carer Payment is a payment for carers who, because of the demands of their caring role, are unable to support themselves through substantial participation in the workforce.

Carer Allowance is a supplementary payment available to parents or carers who provide daily care and attention for adults and children with a severe disability or medical condition. Carer Allowance may be paid on top of Carer Payment or other payments, such as Age Pension. A claim for Carer Allowance can be based on the assessment of a health professional, without the need for a final diagnosis, if it is evident the person needs personal care and will continue to need it for at least 12 months.

From 1 July 2006, legislative changes came into effect that enable new claims for Carer Allowance to be backdated for up to 12 weeks from the date a carer advises Centrelink they intend to claim the payment. The backdating provisions for carers of adults are only available if the care needs are due to the acute onset of a medical condition, such as a stroke. For more information about payments when you care for an adult (16 years and over) or child (under 16 years) visit

Are you caring for someone who is frail, aged or has a disability? Centrelink can help. For more information phone Centrelink on 13 2717 or visit

What will I get if I marry?

YOURLifeChoices member Lee is worried that if she chooses to marry, she will lose all

Will I lose my carer supplement?

YOURLifeChoices subscriber Von is concerned that when she moves to the Age Pension, she will

What is a carer?

YOURLifeChoices subscriber, Carol, does a fantastic job looking after her elderly parents but

Payment of Carer Supplement

As of 1 July 2011 the Carer Supplement of $600 will be paid to those eligible but who will get


Carer Payment is a payment for carers who, because of the demands of their caring role, are

Carer breaks

You can take a number of breaks from caring, up to 63 days per calendar year.

Caring for my sick father

Rhonda's question concerns whether she will be able to claim a carer's allowance

1 2


household capital


Back to Top