Contacting Centrelink by email

In this digital age you would think that sending an email to Centrelink would be a simple task, but not so, as YOURLifeChoices subscriber, John found out. However, there is help at hand.

Q. John

I am trying to contact Centrelink by email. My wife and I are in our late 70s, don’t hear very well and much prefer the net as a form of communication. I have tried all the Centrelink web internet services forms but keep getting replies via the phone. I would have all my correspondence via the net if possible but Centrelink are obsessed with phones.

I am trying to tell them we will leave the country for 10 days, sounds simple enough – not so.

We have an hourly bus service then a local train to our nearest Centrelink office. We hate using the phone, but are unable to get through to Centrelink with this information.

Any suggestions?


To notify Centrelink that you are going overseas, you need to call Centrelink or visit your local office. Unfortunately, at this stage this can’t be done using Centrelink’s Online Services.

However, customers with a hearing impairment are able to contact Centrelink using the National Relay Service. This allows customers to type their side of the conversation and read the responses on their computer. All you need to do is visit the National Relay Service website and type in your regular 13 Centrelink number. You need to let Centrelink know as soon as possible to check how your departure will affect your payments.

You can also write a letter to your local Centrelink office to notify them. You can find the postal address from the Centrelink website.

If neither of these options suits your needs, you can arrange to nominate a person to act or enquire on your behalf. To do this you will need to complete an authorisation form which can be found on the Centrelink website, along with further information.