A cry for help: can Stanley return to live in Australia?

Can he return to Australia and be eligible for an Age Pension?

Centrelink Q&A: A cry for help

After Stanley’s business failed, he headed overseas to live and work. He is keen to return to Australia but doesn’t know if he will qualify for an Age Pension. 


Q. Stanley
I'm going on 67 and I have been stuck living in Asia for the past decade. I shifted here after my business in Australia failed due to a range of reasons after a very successful 15 years. I ended up totally broke with no assets, savings, superannuation, home or car. I survive here on a small family inheritance and the small salary I am able to eke out working in slave-like conditions to pay a high rent and keep a roof over my head. 

Is it possible for me to receive an Australian Age Pension as – for the 20 years my business operated, I paid significant taxes to the Government while never making any claims on social welfare, medical costs or anything that involved any payout of taxpayer monies?

The reality is that I cannot afford to pay for a return ticket to Australia, and even if I could get there, I would have no place of abode and no ability to enjoy any semblance of a real life. What are my options?

A: To claim an Age Pension, a person must first be an Australian resident and, second, be in Australia when the claim is lodged. He or she will also need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total, with at least five of those years being continuous residency.


If an Australia citizen returns from another country to live in Australia and starts getting Age Pension, their payment will stop if they depart Australia during the subsequent two years.

There are some exceptions to the Age Pension residency rules. For instance:

  • a refugee or former refugee is exempt from the 10-year rule
  • you can apply to transfer to the Age Pension without meeting the residence rules if you receive any of the following: Partner Allowance, Widow Allowance or Pension, and if you’re a woman whose partner died while both were Australian residents, you’ll need to have been an Australian resident for two years before being able to claim.
  • if you’ve lived or worked in a country that has an international social security agreement with Australia.

If you have a Centrelink question, please send it to [email protected] and we’ll do our best to answer it for you.

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.



To make a comment, please register or login
22nd Nov 2019
Reading all these conditions I do not see much hope for Stanley getting a pension unless someone sponsored his return to this country. If a dual citizen he might try the other country; I could claim my part pension from Europe without traveling there. The Embassy in Stanley's current place of residence - there could be the availability of a loan for distressed Aussies abroad. But Stanley would have to be willing to stay here for 2 years.
22nd Nov 2019
Does he meet the 35 years work requirement? It's not clear in the article. If not he will only get xx/35 of the full pension wouldn't he, assuming he qualifies?
22nd Nov 2019
KSS - he will get the full amount as an Australian resident provided he stays put. That 35 years only applies to people who decide to skidaddle offshore once they have the pension. Anyone staying here is unaffected otherwise we would have heaps of people on half pensions. The story has a lot of questions for sure.
22nd Nov 2019
owner of successful business for 15 years ... and no superannuation? Currently paying a high" rent so perhaps Stanley should have a chat to the local consulate and crunch the numbers to help him decide whether to use some of his inheritance to buy a one way return trip.
22nd Nov 2019
Does that mean that he has to be an Australian resident for 10 years living in Australia before he can claim or 10 years in total any time over the last 20/30 yrs etc?

Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free

  • Receive our daily enewsletter
  • Enter competitions
  • Comment on articles

You May Like