Clarifying pension entitlements

Understanding which Centrelink payments you may be entitled to may be difficult and YOURLifeChoices member, Patricia would like some clarification.

I am unsure of entitlements of aged pension. I have spoken to Centrelink, but I’m not much wiser.
I will be 64 in December 2012, my husband is 58 years of age and is a DFRDB recipient, approximately $18,000 per year. If I am eligible for a single pension he intends to cease working.
· Will I be eligible for a single pension in December 2012, or will we be classed as a “Couple”?
· We plan to sell our home and purchase a mobile home, it is also likely that we will have to purchase a relocatable home in a residential park for my mother to live in, will one or both of these affect the pension?

A. In response to your questions:
1. You will be classed and assessed on income and assets as part of a couple. For details of the current limits which apply, click YOURLifeChoices link to Centrelink asset test tables.

2. If you sell your home and do not intend to purchase another one, the proceeds will be considered an asset. If you purchase a motor home, this will be considered an exempt asset, but only for a period of twelve months. For more information, click YOURLifeChoices to Centrelink asset clarification.

The purchase of a relocatable home for your mother will be classed as an asset and you will be assessed as such. It may also affect your mother’s pension eligibility.

It’s unfortunate that you have not received the clear information which you require from Centrelink however, I do think it would be worthwhile to make an appointment to speak to a Centrelink Financial information Services officer and you can do so by calling 132300. Before you go, it may be worthwhile reading the information on 

Written by Debbie McTaggart