Do I need to report annual leave?

Elvira receives a pension and still works part time and wants to know how to report her upcoming annual leave.


Q. Elvira
I am 68 years of age and still working and getting paid a part pension. I would like to know if I have to submit annual leave and leave loading as an income to Centrelink? I would like to take 40 hours annual leave. I work permanent part time, approximately 35 hours per fortnight.

A. If you take leave from work you need to report how much of your income in the reporting period was:

  • paid leave
  • hours you worked, including any paid sick leave hours.

Even if you don’t have mutual obligation requirements, which won’t apply to you on the Age Pension, you still need to provide Centrelink with the above information.

You have 14 days to tell Centrelink about leave earnings at a different rate from your normal income.

You also need to inform Centrelink if your employer pays you for leave that you have built up but didn’t take time off for. Centrelink assesses this differently from other leave.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
Partner not of pension age
Retirees need not live in poverty
How to maximise Age Pension

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Ben


Can you get Age Pension in a couple if your partner is working?

How will you be assessed as a couple? Check your eligibility here?

Here’s why older Australians need not be living in poverty

Government funds are going to the wrong people, writes economist Matt Grudnoff.

How to maximise Age Pension payment

Carley seeks help from Noel Whittaker to structure her finances and receive maximum pension benefits.