Will trip affect Age Pension?

I am 70 and I arrived in Brisbane from South Africa in mid-December 2009, so I will only be eligible for Centrelink in December 2019, due to the 10-year residency rule.

I have had some part-time jobs here, but due to ill-health I have few savings.

In June 2017, I had part of my colon and my pancreas and spleen removed in two big ops five days apart. The doctors recommended that I quit my job as, without my spleen, I am very susceptible to infection. I’ve tried to get a job from home, but so far nothing. I have cut expenses to a minimum – no car, no home internet, no takeaway meals or outings, etc.

I still have to wait until December 2019 before I can get an Age Pension.

My mum lives overseas and is 90. She wants to see me as she can’t travel. If I get the go-ahead from the doctors to visit for about three weeks, would I jeopardise my pension?

I have sent a message twice to Centrelink but to date haven’t spoken to anyone.

A. You are allowed to travel during your 10-year residency period. Centrelink will most likely consider the three weeks as a vacation and may add the three weeks on to your 10 years; that is, you will be eligible after 10 years and three weeks. For at least five of these years, there must be no break in your residence.

You can make an appointment to speak to a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer at any time, regardless of whether you’re a Centrelink customer or not.

If you have a Centrelink question, please send it to [email protected] and we’ll do our best to answer it for you.

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Janelle Ward


Centrelink Q&A: Shared housing

Robyn is looking to move closer to the city and is considering buying a house with a friend.

How to reapply for the Age Pension

Ready to reapply for the Age Pension after losing your entitlements? Here's how.

How to tap into your super savings

You may be able to draw an income from your superannuation before you retire.