How to transfer your UK Pension to Australia

Font Size:

How do you transfer your UK Pension to Australia?
If you lived and worked in the United Kingdom for any period of time you will have most likely accrued some savings in a UK pension. If you now live in Australia, you will want to make sure that you are able to access that money.

However, there have been a number of legislative changes in both the United Kingdom and Australia, and these changes have made the transfer of UK pension money to an Australian super fund a bit tricky.

There are a number of questions you need to answer before you look into transferring your UK Pension fund to Australia.

Are you old enough?
You need to be at least 55 years or over to be eligible to transfer your UK Pension to Australia.

On 6 April 2015, Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) disqualified all Australian qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme (QROPS) funds because they permitted access prior to age 55 if a member met the financial hardship provisions.

This access rule is not available under UK pension rules, so this meant that Australian QROPS funds placed members in a better position than their counterparts in the United Kingdom.

Since the 2015 rule change, many new QROPS funds in Australia are set up as Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSF). These funds can be written under specific trust deeds that only permit membership for those aged 55 or over and therefore comply with HMRC requirements.

You must transfer your UK Pension fund to an Australian QROPS complying super fund or you will be hit with a tax penalty of up to 55 per cent of the value of your fund.

Will Australia allow the money to be transferred?
Transferring money from a foreign account such as a UK pension fund is not treated by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as a transfer or rollover of existing benefits, but as a new contribution. That means you need to ensure your UK pension fund complies with the Australian contribution rules for non-concessional contributions.

To comply with the rules for non-concessional superannuation contributions you need to be under 65 years of age, or satisfy the work test. To satisfy the work test, you must have worked at least 40 hours within 30 consecutive days in a financial year before your super fund can accept contributions for you.

You are entitled to contribute $100,000 per tax year as a non-concessional contribution.

If you are under 65 years of age, you can contribute for the current tax year and the next two tax years in one transaction. Therefore, you can contribute up to $300,000 in a single year, and then cannot contribute again for the next two years.

Will a transfer be taxed in Australia?
The ATO explains that you may have to pay tax as a result of transferring your UK pension if any portion of the transferred amount was accrued after you became an Australian resident.

Within six months of becoming a resident
If you receive your pension payout within six months of becoming an Australian resident, the entire payment should be tax-free if the entirety of the lump sum was earned/accumulated by you when you were not an Australian resident and if the total sum transferred doesn’t exceed your ‘vested’ amount. The vested amount means that it doesn’t include any top-up or discretionary payments, and consists only of mandatory contributions along with their associated earnings.

Within six months of ceasing foreign employment
Your transfer should also be tax-free if it is made within six months of terminating your employment in the United Kingdom.

More than six months after gaining residency or ceasing employment
In your assessable income for the year, you must include the amount of the lump sum that relates to your UK fund earnings if you received the lump sum more than six months after gaining residency or ceasing foreign employment and were an Australian resident when you received it.

However, you may choose to pay the lump sum into a complying super fund. You can choose to have all or part of your applicable fund earnings included in the assessable income of that fund. If you do, then the amount of the super lump sum that you will include in your assessable income is the applicable fund earnings reduced by the amount of the applicable fund earnings you have chosen to be assessed in the fund.

The remainder of the super lump sum or any part of the super lump sum that is paid into another foreign super fund is tax-free.

Does the money from a UK pension have to be converted to Australian dollars?
No. Many people delay transferring their funds across because of a poor conversion rate. However, there is no legislative requirement to convert the funds into Australian dollars and it is possible to set up a qualifying QROPS SMSF in Australia with all of the investment portfolio invested in funds with British pounds.

Case study
Stephen is a plumber who recently migrated to Australia with a private UK pension fund of £66,000. He wants to find a super fund quickly that will accept both his employer contributions (for a job he is about to start) as well as his pension funds. He elects to have the funds invested in a portfolio in British pounds to avoid a poor conversion rate.

Stephen contacts a financial adviser who is able to establish a super fund within a couple of days and forwards the paperwork on to his employer so that he can direct the payments into the super fund of his choice.

Stephen’s financial adviser is able to invest his UK pension funds in a portfolio in British pounds, while also investing his Australian employer contributions in an Australian portfolio.

Join YourLifeChoices today
and get this free eBook!

By joining YourLifeChoices you consent that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy


Look before you leap into retirement overseas

Look before you leap: what you must know before retiring overseas.

Can you visit a sick relative overseas without losing pension?

Elaine wants to visit a sick cousin overseas, but will that affect her pension?

Centrelink can help claim your overseas pension

June has been told she has to apply for an overseas pension.

Written by Ben


Total Comments: 6
  1. 0

    This doesn’t work for underfunded section 32 pensions!

  2. 0

    What a confusing article. It doesn’t make it clear whether it refers to the National Insurance (Old age pension) which many older Poms who have been in Australia for decades may be entitled to or private superannuation/pension funds which are more likely to be owned by more recent migrants. You presumably wouldn’t transfer UK pension payments into a super fund in Australia as it suggests but surely you are more likely to transfer accrued superannuation savings into a local super account?

    • 0

      If like me one is a Pom and worked in the UK you are possibly entitled to a UK state pension
      Simply contact the UK overseas pension section, you can phone them, they are considerably easier to deal with than Centrelink who didn’t even advise me that I should apply for the UK pension, their consultants know what they are talking about
      They will send you the relevant forms and/or advise you how to apply
      Once processed by them they will pay you, according to how much you are entitled to, at relevant times automatically into your bank account
      A far better system than our pathetic pension system which is discriminatory as our politicians are constantly meddling with the funds supporting it

    • 0

      Thank you Romeital, I am aware of the UK National Insurance process although I believe their application form is a nightmare, one of the questions is ‘list all visits to the UK with dates’- ….over the past 50 years, what a joke. One part of the forms says don’t send you passport, elsewhere it indictes your application won’t proceed without original documents. I once worked there for a time but the process is too cumbersome to bother. However, my point was not how to apply for an NI pension but that this sloppy article didn’t distiinguish between the various types of pensions and muddied the water over pension payments and superannuation savings.

    • 0

      Yes the article was quite difficult to decipher and probably should have made it clear it didn’t apply to the UK state pension
      The UK form does ask for dates of visits to the UK because such visits increase ones eligibility to the pension I found only approximate dates were necessary
      When you get the form from them they will tell you what documentation you need to supply
      The form is a bit long but very easy to fill out and if you are entitled to this pension it’s worth having even though in my case it’s only a small amount as I only worked in the UK for 5 years on an apprentices wage which back then was a pittance it’s also not indexed unless you make a visit to the UK when an email to them gets it indexed while you are visiting

    • 0

      Romeital. Maybe I should look at it again. I have left it 10 years since I was first entitled because the process seems so unwieldy. I Also Ilived and worked in Europe for ten years with frequent visits to the UK from there and Australia, I filled five passports in that time and recording those visits would be a nightmare. At the moment it seems the UK needs the money more than me but if Shorten gets in that may change. Interesting your comment about indexing during each visit. Does this mean indexed to update for all the missed increments due to non- indexing? Thank you anyway, its a pleasant change to have a civil and informative exchange on this site.



continue reading

Health Insurance

Your health insurance is about to go up. Again.

Do you feel like the cost of your health insurance is always going up? You’re not wrong. Premiums are about...


Private health rebate levels are dropping, what does that mean?

We are all used to private health insurance rebates on 1 April every year, but this year the rebates will...

Health news

Doctors call for convicted child killer Kathleen Folbigg's release

A group of 90 expert scientists and doctors is calling for convicted child killer Kathleen Folbigg to be pardoned in...


Adorable celebrity pets

Just like the rest of us, Hollywood's A-listers are pretty obsessed with their pets, especially when it comes to sharing...

Health news

Who needs a colonoscopy most? Ensuring those at risk head the queue

Professor Jon Emery Mary was 55 when she started having on and off tummy pains, and noticed she needed to...

Health & Ageing

What stress does to your skin, hair and nails

Stress can be an all-consuming beast. Not only does it overwhelm your brain, but it can have a physical impact,...


Multi-generational family living grows, forcing design changes

The trend towards multi-generational living, accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic, is producing fresh approaches to Australian housing. Urban designer Craig...

Seniors Finance

Your retirement 'pay cheque'

Nothing beats the reassurance of knowing there's money coming in each month. Then retirement happens and, suddenly, it's up to...