As the country waits with bated breath for Joe Hockey to deliver this year’s Federal Budget, here are 10 little-known facts about the Treasurer.
- Joe Hockey’s birthday is 2 August 1965, making him a 48-year-old Leo.
- His father was a Bethlehem-born Armenian-Palestinian named Richard, who was sent to Palestine by the British as a spy.
- His father’s original surname, Hokeidonian, was anglicised to ‘Hockey’.
- Joe Hockey has both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Law degree.
- While he attended the University of Sydney he was the president of the students’ representative council.
- He is married to Melissa Babbage, who is an investment banker and was, at one point, the head of foreign exchange and global finance at Deutsche Bank.
- He has three children.
- He has walked the Kokoda Track and climbed Mount Kilimanjaro to raise funds for the Humpty Dumpty Foundation. While walking the Kokoda Track he carried a picture of his children in his hat.
- Joe Hockey and his wife own a 200-hectare cattle farm in Queensland.
- In November 2009, Nick Minchin and Tony Abbott privately offered Joe Hockey the party leadership on the proviso he dropped his advocacy of an emissions trading scheme. He declined the offer.
How many of these facts were you aware of? Were any of these revelations unexpected?