Claiming a UK pension

If you have paid National Insurance contributions in the UK then you may be entitled to a UK state pension. How do you make the claim from Australia?

When leaving the UK you should have advised the Pension Service of your intention to do so and kept them advised of any changes to your address. This will allow the Pension Service to contact you four months prior to you reaching state pension age to advise you of your state pension forecast. If you haven’t received this within this timeframe you should contact the International Pension Centre (IPC).

If you have worked in a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) after leaving the UK but prior to arriving in Australia, then you should make a claim via the country in which you last worked.