Entitlements and discounts you must know about

Font Size:

The rules associated with retirement income, and the Age Pension in particular, are complex. It is vital that you fully understand how they will be applied to your situation.

Retirement is definitely a time for careful planning and being well informed about what is available.

Whatever your situation, it is important that you know the options available to you and the services that can assist you. It is also important that you carefully consider the decisions you may need to make in retirement.

There is income support, health and aged care, seniors’ cards, financial planning, superannuation, housing and rent assistance – to name just a few. And to find out about each topic, you have to contact a different government department or service.

Research and planning will assist you to make the most of the entitlements and responsibilities that come with retirement.

Centrelink is one of the agencies (Medicare and Child Support the other two) that operates under the banner of Services Australia and is responsible for assessing eligibility and the payment of social security benefits.

Older Australians have the right to claim income support as they age. Eligibility for payments is subject to certain criteria. A person’s age, residency in Australia and level of income and assets is taken into account in determining eligibility and the rate of payment. For couples, combined circumstances are taken into account.

Age Pension
The Age Pension is a fortnightly payment providing income support to eligible Australians.

For some, the Age Pension is the sole source of income in retirement. For others, the Age Pension can be used to supplement other sources of income, such as from superannuation or employment.

Recipients of the Age Pension may be able to receive additional payments such as Rent Assistance, the Pension Supplement and the Clean Energy Supplement. These are fortnightly or lump sum payments to help with rent and bills.

Recipients of the Age Pension are entitled to concessions through the Pensioner Concession Card.

People receiving the Age Pension may be eligible for more than one type of payment. For example, you may be eligible for both the Age Pension and the Carer Payment.

You can find out more about Age Pension eligibility on the YourLifeChoices website.

Carer Payment
The Carer Payment is an income support payment for eligible carers providing constant daily care in the home of a person aged 16 or over with a severe disability, a medical condition or who is elderly and frail.

The Carer Payment is intended for people whose care responsibilities mean that they are unable to work in substantial paid employment.

Recipients of the Carer Payment may be eligible to receive additional support through Rent Assistance, the Carer Supplement and the Clean Energy Supplement. These are fortnightly or lump sum payments to help you pay rent and bills. Recipients will also be entitled to a Pensioner Concession Card.

Carer Allowance
The Carer Allowance is a supplementary payment for eligible carers who provide daily care in their home or in the home of a person aged 16 or over who has a disability or medical condition, or who is elderly and frail.

The Carer Allowance is different to the Carer Payment because it is not means tested, therefore your income and assets do not affect your eligibility. This means that if you are eligible, you will receive the Carer Allowance no matter what other income you receive. It is available to people who are working, self-funded retirees and people receiving income support payments. These can include the Age Pension, the Carer Payment or a pension from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Grandparent Child Care Benefit
The Grandparent Child Care Benefit is available to eligible grandparents who are the primary carers of a grandchild or grandchildren. The benefit covers the full cost of childcare for up to 50 hours for each child in approved care each week.

To be eligible, a grandparent will need to be the natural, adoptive or step grandparent of the child, a great-grandparent or their partner and the primary carer of the grandchild. You must be in receipt of an income support payment such as the Age Pension or Carer Payment.

Rent Assistance
You may be entitled to Rent Assistance if you pay rent for private accommodation and receive a Centrelink payment, including the Age Pension or Carer Payment. Rent Assistance can be provided to people in residential care facilities if these facilities are not already subsidised by the Australian Government.

Pension Loans Scheme
The Pension Loans Scheme (PLS) allows people of Age Pension age to access a regular income from a loan that is secured against any property you own. While the overall maximum you can receive is 150 per cent of the maximum rate of the Age Pension, your actual limit will depend on your age, how long you intend to receive payments, whether you are single or have a partner, the value of your home and how much Age Pension you receive. The formula is conservative to ensure participants do not borrow more than their home is worth.

The PLS is an alternative to a commercial reverse mortgage or equity release scheme.

Seniors Card
A Seniors Card offers concessions on a variety of goods and services, including government services, transport and shopping within your state or territory. You can use the Seniors Card across Australia, but some restrictions may apply. The card is free, but you must apply.

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
The Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is for Australians who have reached Age Pension age, but do not receive a Centrelink payment. Eligibility depends on your annual income. This card may entitle the holder to additional refunds for medical expenses and greater discounts on prescription medicines.

Pensioner Concession Card
The Pensioner Concession Card is for recipients of the Age Pension. It is also available to people receiving some other payments, including Carer Payment and the Disability Support Pension.

A Pensioner Concession Card entitles you to reduced-cost medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).

You may also be entitled to various concessions from the Australian government. These could include:

  • bulk billing for doctor’s appointments (this is your doctor’s decision)
  • more refunds for medical expenses through the Medicare Safety Net
  • assistance with hearing services through the Office of Hearing Services
  • discounted mail redirection through Australia Post.

You may also be entitled to various concessions from state and territory governments and local councils – these could include:

  • reductions on property and water rates
  • reductions on energy bills
  • reduced fares on public transport
  • reductions on motor-vehicle registrations
  • free rail journeys.

Pensioner Concession Card concessions are different in each state and territory and vary between local councils.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Disclaimer: All content in the Retirement Affordability Index™ is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your

Join YourLifeChoices today
and get this free eBook!

By joining YourLifeChoices you consent that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy


The costly pitfalls in failing to consider financial advice

SuperRatings' Camille Schmitt explains the dangers in turning your back on financial advice.

Homeowners vs renters in retirement, by the numbers

Retired actuary John De Ravin explores the outlook for retirees who own their home and for those

Government assistance that could help you

YourLifeChoices keeps you up to date with government changes that could affect your retirement.

Written by Ben


Total Comments: 8
  1. 0

    I also get discounts on my car and contents insurance for being with the same insurer (QBE). On my contents I get a discount for being over 50, and a small ‘thanks for being a customer’. On my comprehensive car insurance I get a good driver discount, as well as the other 2 above. My savings on each policy come to $30.49 on the contents, and $133.11 on the car, which is $163.60 savings for this year, which is nothing to be sneezed at.

  2. 0

    The statement that you can have an age pension plus a carer payment at the same time is untrue.
    What is true, is that you can receive an age pension and a carer allowance simultaneously.

  3. 0

    The statement that you can have an age pension plus a carer payment at the same time is untrue.
    What is true, is that you can receive an age pension and a carer allowance simultaneously.

  4. 0

    I also get a discount from Telstra, only small but a discount on home & mobile phones, never asked for it but it is classed as a Pensioner Discount

  5. 0

    Seems to depend on state to state with the Pension card discounts. In Victoria it is 50% of your car Rego, saving about $350 or more for my small car. South East water, we get $80 discount each quarter. I get discounts on Electricty as well. I think about $1,000 of savings in a year. if I flash my Seniors card- other discounts as well.

    • 0

      My parents in NSW seem to get far more than us in Queensland. They get free travel and recently received a card with credit on it for fuel and travel. Quite a lot too, I think it was 750 each or thereabouts!
      We get a small discount on car rego, licenses and rates but only a few hundred bucks. Hey anything is better than nothing!
      We get a small discount on electricity, and recently had a $200 handout, but were in credit anyway due to the good solar PV panels we put in.

      Seems odd to me that we do not do this all on a standard country wide basis. But then a lot of things seem odd to me these days…

    • 0

      I live in NSW and get nothing other than cheap public transport which is not available where I live.

    • 0

      The NSW Regional Senior Travel Card gives you $250 for petrol and regional train travel as well as taxi fares. Only available to pensioners living outside Newcastle, Sydney and the Gong. Valid for a year, you apply at the vehicle rego office. Show your driving licence and the NSW Pension Card.



continue reading


How to … fall back asleep

Waking up at night and struggling to get back to sleep can be stressful and exhausting. According to WebMB, around...


Curing the incurable: Why some patients make astounding recoveries

As a GP and someone who works in the holistic health field, Dr Jerry Thompson has long been interested in...


The 'ism' that's rife and no, it's not okay

Ageism, like all 'isms', creates a social hierarchy and disadvantages people based on an aspect of their diversity. Compared to...


When conversations become a competition

Australia has a well-deserved reputation for being a very competitive nation on the world stage. Perhaps it dates back to...


Wakey wakey - a history of alarm clocks

Matthew S. Champion, Australian Catholic University Australians are returning to our normal rhythms. The first beats of the day are...


The top-selling-souvenir from every country in the world

Do you buy souvenirs to remember your overseas holidays? If so, we imagine you have been looking at these very...


ACCC to keep a keen eye on travel issues this year

Australia's consumer watchdog expects to have its hands busy dealing with COVID-affected travel complaints this year. In his annual address...


Cruisers turn to superyachts to satisfy their cruise cravings

Typically, Australia is one of, if not, the biggest cruise market in the world. It wasn't so long ago that...