Should I go back to my maiden name?

After ending two marriages, Sally would like to revert to her maiden name, but doesn’t quite know where to start.

Q. Sally
Can you please help me? I wish to change my name back to my maiden name. I have been married twice once in the UK and once here in Australia but don’t know where to start!

A. Reclaiming your own name can be cathartic. Well done on making the decision to do so. Reverting to your maiden name is not complicated, just time consuming. 

You will need copies of your birth, marriage and divorce certificates. If you are now an Australian citizen, your first change should be on your citizenship certificate as this will make the process easier. You can do this by following the steps at Once you have received this, you should contact each organisation you have dealings with, for example, Centrelink, ATO, electoral roll, banks, credit card companies, driving licence, passport, superannuation etc. Some will require you to complete a form, some will accept your citizenship certificate as proof and others may request copies of all your certificates. 

The same applies to any organisations in the UK with which you still have dealings, perhaps UK Pensions, the tax office, or your passport. If you still have details of your UK National Insurance number, this will help.

When it comes to friends, employers, etc, simply advise them of the name by which you now wish to be known. Perhaps you could have a party to celebrate!

Leave a Reply

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Hidden Valley Eco Spa retreat $225

Bill Kerr