How to access financial help for major medical bills

Font Size:

If you have a chronic illness that is expensive to treat, the government has a few ways it can help you meet your medical costs.

The first port of call is to claim a benefit from Medicare and apply for any healthcare and concession cards you may be eligible for.

Next, you should register for the Medicare Safety Net. If you are single, you are automatically registered. But if you are part of a couple or family, then you need to register in order for Medicare to pool the medical bills of everyone in the household.

This helps a family with more than one member needing healthcare to achieve the threshold sooner. Once you have hit this threshold, the rebates Medicare pays are increased so that you are not left out of pocket as much, or at all, from subsequent health costs for the remainder of the calendar year.

There are three main types of safety net, and they apply to out-of-hospital costs only:

    • for non-concessional card holders, an extended general threshold applies. Once you reach the threshold of $2184.30, for the rest of the calendar year you’ll get the Medicare benefit plus either 80 per cent of the out-of-pocket cost or
    • holders of Commonwealth concession cards, such as a Pensioner Concession Card, a Health Care Card or a Commonwealth Seniors Card, can trigger extra rebates after they reach the threshold of just $697.00
    • certain procedures under the Medicare Benefits Schedule – more than 500 of them – do not contribute to thresholds and in those cases, patients will instead receive a capped amount.

Extra Medicare benefits are available for certain treatments for a chronic illness under a health plan drawn up by your GP. This plan can be for treatment by one practitioner or by a number of different practitioners working as a team.

The plan’s medical services must be directly related to your chronic medical condition. Generally, the plan will allow you a certain number of visits to a practitioner per calendar year at a discounted price, once extra rebates are applied.

If your chronic illness requires major surgery or another procedure in a hospital that will leave you with a big bill from a specialist, there are two other means to access funds:

    • In certain circumstances, you may be able to dip into your superannuation savings if you have not yet reached retirement age but require expensive medical treatment for a terminal condition or acquired physical incapacity.
    • If you own real estate and are an age pensioner or a self-funded retiree, you can apply for extra fortnightly payments under the Pension Loan Scheme. This scheme works as a type of reverse equity mortgage on your property.

If you are still unsure about what rebates for medical care you may be entitled to, visit Centrelink’s Payment and Service Finder. By answering a series of questions, this site can identify benefits you may be eligible to apply for.

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Join YourLifeChoices today
and get this free eBook!

By joining YourLifeChoices you consent that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy


Strategies for over 50-year-old borrowers

The strategies you need to know if you are over 50 and want to borrow from the bank.

Medicare rebate is sick and must be lifted, say GPs

Doctors lobby for an increase to allow them to spend more time with patients.

Out-of-pocket medical bills need no longer be a surprise

Want to do a price check on out-of-pocket medical expenses? Now you can.


Total Comments: 1
  1. 0

    We are a married M/F couple both over 80years of age, last week I filled in form MS106 to register as a couple, after presenting myself to a local medicare office I was told I do not have to register as we are both already registered! for the safety net, who is correct medicare or Y.L.Choices?



continue reading


How to … fall back asleep

Waking up at night and struggling to get back to sleep can be stressful and exhausting. According to WebMB, around...


Curing the incurable: Why some patients make astounding recoveries

As a GP and someone who works in the holistic health field, Dr Jerry Thompson has long been interested in...


The 'ism' that's rife and no, it's not okay

Ageism, like all 'isms', creates a social hierarchy and disadvantages people based on an aspect of their diversity. Compared to...


When conversations become a competition

Australia has a well-deserved reputation for being a very competitive nation on the world stage. Perhaps it dates back to...


Wakey wakey - a history of alarm clocks

Matthew S. Champion, Australian Catholic University Australians are returning to our normal rhythms. The first beats of the day are...


The top-selling-souvenir from every country in the world

Do you buy souvenirs to remember your overseas holidays? If so, we imagine you have been looking at these very...


ACCC to keep a keen eye on travel issues this year

Australia's consumer watchdog expects to have its hands busy dealing with COVID-affected travel complaints this year. In his annual address...


Cruisers turn to superyachts to satisfy their cruise cravings

Typically, Australia is one of, if not, the biggest cruise market in the world. It wasn't so long ago that...