It’s everyone’s worst nightmare: you finally make it to your holiday and fall ill on the second day. Well, here are some simple, yet effective ways to avoid the travel bug (not the good one) on your next trip.
Before you leave:
1. Try taking immune-boosting supplements, such as vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, multivitamins and probiotics.
2. Eat healthy foods, such as fruit, vegetables, garlic, ginger, spinach, almonds and yoghurt.
At the airport:
3. Try not to touch everything, especially handrails, armrests, doorknobs, bins, security-line equipment and café counters.
4. Now, obviously that may not be possible, so ensure that you wash your hands thoroughly after doing so, or take some sanitising hand wipes and use them!
5. Don’t put your bag on the toilet floor or counter – use hooks on doors or leave it on your shoulder (if possible).
6. Sit in the least crowded part of the lounge.
7. Don’t touch your face and don’t eat with your fingers unless you’ve washed or sanitised.
On the plane:
8. Try to sleep mid-flight – it’ll allow you to recharge your immune system.
9. Keep your air vent blowing a steady stream of air over your face.
10. Don’t drink too much alcohol and make sure you drink a lot of water.
11. Move around and stretch as much as you can.
When you get there:
12. Don’t over-eat.
13. Don’t overindulge on alcohol.
14. Take the opportunity to exercise.
15. Keep your mouth closed when you swim or shower.
16. If you don’t trust it, don’t eat it! Trust your senses.
Do you have any tips for staying healthy when you travel?
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles