It’s episode 50 of Mind Your Own Retirement with your effervescent host and the holder of Australia’s favourite pipes, John Deeks.
In episode 50 of the Mind Your Own Retirement podcast, Deeksie and Kaye get back together to talk money, health and travel for those in retirement – or planning it.
First up, author and accountant Dr Adrian Raftery, a.k.a. ‘Mr Taxman’, shares updates on ways retirees can maximise their tax returns as the end of the financial year beckons.
Learn more about the minimums and maximums of the pension drawdown, visit the MrTaxMan website, or follow Mr TaxMan on Facebook and Twitter. Or look for his new book 101 Ways to Save Money on Your Tax Legally
And whether you’re enjoying the sunshine in Broome or dodging rain in Adelaide, it’s still winter all over Australia. So Dr Billy Stoupas, practising GP and spokesperson for the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, highlights the winter maladies we need to avoid, and how to do so.
Learn more about TheGeneralPractitioner.
It’s great to be finally emerging from the strict social distancing triggered by COVID-19, which means travel is right back on the agenda, with New South Wales our first destination in focus. The folk at Destination NSW have just released a list of 213 things to do, revolving around food, culture, nature, wildlife, beaches and Indigenous activities and experiences. We speak with Izabella Lane, tourism coordinator for the Southern Highlands, about this special region of NSW, the main towns of Moss Vale, Mittagong, Bowral, Bundanoon and Berrima, and the amazing Pie Festival that is celebrated across the region in June.
Learn more about the Southern Highlands of New South Wales.
Here's a list of some of NSW’s most sought after adventures across food, culture, Indigenous experiences, nature and wildlife, plus everything aquatic and coastal. Choose your own holiday adventures from NSW's roundup of unique experiences.
- Visit the 'rooftop of Australia' at Kosciuszko National Park in the NSW Snowy Mountains.
- See the sunrise from Australia's most easterly point Cape Byron on the NSW North Coast.
- Gaze over the second-largest canyon in the world at Capertee Valley.
- Go back in time and ride on a paddle steamer along the historic Murray River.
- Go foraging for fungi or snuffle for truffles in Oberon in Country NSW.
- Witness the awesome natural spectacle that is the Kiama Blowhole on the beautiful NSW South Coast, one of the largest blowholes in the world.
- Drive nearly 950kms of spectacular landscape and history through Outback NSW on the Darling River Run.
- Explore Lord Howe Island, home to the world's southernmost coral reef and one of the most unspoilt and sustainable paradises on the planet.
- Enjoy the peace up high on a hot air balloon ride over the Hunter Valley.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles