FiFi explains fabulous slouchy jumpers and how to wear them.
1. One is for layering: You wear it underneath blazers and coats.
It’s chic and neat and perfect for going out to dinner. You can wear it under a blazer. Or under a shirt. It’s a layering piece.
2. The other type of jumper is the slouchy, fashiony knit.
My fav is from Arket. I have it in white and bought it in choc brown last year.
This jumper works on its own. It makes a statement.
It doesn’t need a jacket to make a statement or to look polished.
It’s loose and oversized; you feel like you can wear it without a coat and look chic.
BTW, I have been telling followers to buy a big slouchy jumper since 2015!
If you shopped as FiFi instructed, you would already have had six years of wear. Isn’t that the aim of the game?
Invest early in a trend and then get mileage from your wardrobe.
What to look for in a statement jumper
It should have a polo neck or roll neck. Maybe balloon sleeves.
Big and oversized. It might just cover your bum.
Go for oatmeal, cream, white, navy or grey. All colours are what I call ‘expensive’ colours, but not necessarily so. You don’t need to spend a fortune to look chic. (Hot pink – and other bright colours – never looks expensive unless it is!)
Don’t invest in black: Boring, not so flattering next to the face and tricky to style.
(Black sweater + black pants = snoozefest.)
Please don’t cry: Store those black sweaters you already own, or team them with high-waist beige pants or groovy wide-leg blue denim. Then wear with a black blazer.
If you only buy one sweater, don’t spend your money on a black one.
How to wear a slouchy jumper
- It will look fabulous with leather pants.
- It will love hanging over a maxi flirty skirt .
- It will adore getting a half tuck into chinos.
- It will kiss white jeans – especially in winter.
- It will want to be layered over a shirt (with the shirt tails hanging out).
- Chic, casual and easy to throw together.
- Check out the street style ideas below to get some inspo!
Voila: The best slouchy sweaters from luxe to less. Just click on each sweater to shop!
Fashion editor, stylist and uber shopper FiFi (otherwise known as Fiona Milne) is The FiFi Report.
This article was originally produced on fifi.com.au.
If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.