Monochrome, also known as black and white, is everywhere at the moment.
You. Monochrome, also known as black and white, is everywhere at the moment. The best part is it’s incredibly easy and inexpensive to test out this trend. There are two main ways to wear monochrome, you can either use block colours, or if you are feeling slightly bolder, you can go for a black and white print such as houndstooth or checks.
To achieve the monochrome look using block colours you can basically use any black or white pieces you have in your wardrobe. However, these are boring and there are better ways to do this. Here are some of the more clever ways:
- Pair your Little Black Dress with white accessories, such as a white clutch, shoes or even a white long-line vest.
- Go for the classic black pants and white shirt combo. Keep your accessories monochromatic as well though with a black or white bag and shoe.
- Pair white jeans with a black top and white sneakers for a more casual look.
- Style your all white ensemble with a black jacket and accessories.
The options are endless and easy, however it is best to aim for a polished and sleek monochrome look rather than a thoughtless clash of black and white.
Cotton On, Mystery Scene Bag, Gardenia/Black, $39.95
ASOS, Monochrome 70s Glasses, White, $11
Topshop, Nail Rock, Monochrome Striped Nail Wraps, approx $11
Target, City Dressing Colour Block Ponti Skirt, Black & White, $39
Monochrome prints are not hard to find at the moment. The easiest way to wear a printed piece is to pare it back with a plain black or white item of clothing. The following are some suggestions for how best to wear a monochromatic print that flatters rather than fattens.
- Team a fine houndstooth tailored pant with a white or black shirt for an office friendly option, or with a tee and ballet flats for a fantastic monochromatic weekend outfit.
- A black and white printed skirt is a great way to break up an all black ensemble. Match with a white tee and statement necklace for a more casual look or black silk top and heels for evening.
- A black and white printed top can add some life to black pants or jeans and a blazer for a more interesting dinner outfit.
- A printed top would also look very fresh with white pants and wedges or flats for those warmer spring days.
- A monochrome print jacket is a great way to dress up black pants and a tee or a black dress.
If this is all a bit much for you, the good news is I believe stripes definitely count as monochrome. Pair a long sleeved striped top with a black or white bottom for a simple and on trend take on monochrome.
Target, MODA Chevron Stripe Top, $39
Target, City Dressing Cross Over Pencil Skirt, Stripe, $49
ASOS, High Waist Pants in Dogtooth Check, $72.48
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles