Which energy rebates are you eligible for?

One Australian state will be giving a one-off $250 payment to all households for simply looking for a better deal on their gas and electricity bills. What other energy rebates are available?

The Victorian government recently announced it will be offering $250 to all households in the state, simply for using the government’s Energy Compare website.

You don’t have to actually switch providers to receive the bonus, just compare your current rates to others on the market.

For those receiving a government payment, the $250 will be in addition to the $250 Power Saving Bonus you’re eligible for, for a total of $500 off your energy bills.

Read: Electricity prices are spiking ten times as much as normal

Eligible government payments include: Age Pension, JobSeeker, Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy, Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA) Pensioner Concession or holders of a DVA Gold Card.

What other energy rebates are available for those receiving government payments in other states and territories?

New South Wales

The NSW government offers a number of energy rebates for concession card holders including the $200 Seniors Energy Rebate for self-funded retirees and the $285 Low Income Household Rebate for pensioners and veterans.

Pensioners and veterans may also be eligible for the $110 NSW Gas Rebate.


Queensland offers pensioners and seniors the $340.85 Electricity Rebate and the $76.19 Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate.

Read: What you’ll be paying for electricity in 2024

Eligibility requirements for the rebates are slightly less strict than other states. To qualify, customers need to hold one of the following: Queensland Seniors Card, Centrelink or DVA Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card, Health Care Card (Electricity Rebate only).

South Australia

The SA government offers a flat per day rate up to $233.60 per year. The payment covers both gas and electricity bills and no differentiation is made between the two when applying.

The rebate is available to those who hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, Pensioner Concession Card, DVA Gold Card or Low Income Health Care Card.

Western Australia

WA offers three energy rebates: the $310.60 Energy Assistance Payment (EAP), the $65.05 per month Air Conditioning Rebate and the Dependent Child Rebate, which is paid at $326.60 for one child and $85.58 for each additional child.

To be eligible for the EAP, you must hold one of the following concession cards: Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or DVA Gold Card.

Read: Tough choices for many as energy costs set to increase

The Air Conditioning Rebate is paid to those living in areas of extreme heat stress. This generally includes anywhere north of the 26th parallel south latitude or north of the 50-day Relative Strain Index line.

The Dependent Child Rebate is offered to those who qualify for the EAP but who are also living with dependent children.


Tassie is the coldest part of Australia for most of the year, and accordingly offers seniors the Heating Allowance for Pensioners. However, the rebate is just $56 annually, paid in two $28 payments in May and September.

The state government does also offer some assistance for those on low incomes. The Annual Electricity Concession offers a roughly $1.40 per day discount off electricity bills for those who hold a Pensioner Concession Card or DVA Gold Card.

Northern Territory

The Top End government offers a much more generous $1200 per year Electricity Concession to eligible recipients through its Northern Territory Concession Scheme, which offers discounts on a variety of different bills.

Similar to other jurisdictions, this payment is available to holders of a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or DVA Gold Card.

Australian Capital Territory

Through its Utilities Concession Scheme, the ACT government offers an annual rebate of $750 for help with power bills. In the 2021-22 financial year the territory is offering additional $50 under this scheme.

To be eligible, you need to hold a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card, DVA Pensioner Concession or Gold Card, Low Income Health Care Card or the ACT Service Access Card.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.