Some vegetables in their raw state aren’t so appealing. This crunchy Beetroot and Red Cabbage Salad is more than a coleslaw. Made with French mustard, lemon and zingy horseradish, you’ll have the perfect tasty side-dish. It’s best paired with a protein such as chicken. If you don’t like your cabbage too crunchy, simply dress the salad a few hours ahead of time.
Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 – 3 tablespoons castor sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons French mustard
- 4 – 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups beetroot (can be oven roasted or whole tinned beetroot) cut into julienne strips
- 4 cups each finely shredded greed and red cabbage
- salt and pepper
Toss the onion, beetroot and cabbage in a large bowl and mix until combined.
To make the dressing, combine garlic, horseradish, sugar, lemon juice, mustard and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Pour over the cabbage mixture and combine well.
Leave to chill in refrigerator until ready to serve. Unlike coleslaw, this salad keeps well so can be made in advance.