Simpler and more decadent than a chocolate croissant, a grilled chocolate sandwich is a marriage of bread and chocolate in which the two components are evenly matched.
Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 85g cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices thin sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts
Heat evaporated milk just until boiling. Add chocolate and let stand for one minute, then whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Divide the chocolate mixture on the unbuttered side of four slices, leaving a little border. Press chocolate chips and hazelnuts into the chocolate. Cover with the remaining slices of bread, buttered-side up, and press lightly. Cook the sandwiches in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat for one to two minutes. Turnover, press with a spatula, and cook until nicely browned and the chocolate is melted. Serve warm.