Simple yet satisfying, our Classic Italian Meatloaf uses fresh garlic, flat parsley and basil to make a mighty fine Mediterranean-inspired meal. It’s an inexpensive dinner that can also be sliced for sangas during the week.
Time: 1 & 1/2 hours
- 2kg beef mince
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon continental parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce, plus an additional 1/3 cup to brush on top
- 1 whole egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 180’C. Lightly grease a foil-lined sheet pan.
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients by hand until well combined.
Place mixture onto prepared pan and mould into a loaf shape. Bake for 20 minutes, then brush the meatloaf with 2/3 of the tomato sauce. Bake for another 20 minutes, then brush with the rest of the tomato sauce and bake for a further 15 minutes. Remove the meatloaf and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve with a side of pasta and tomato sauce, or with mash potatoes and your favourite veggies.