It’s a commonly held belief that soup has magical healing powers. So if you’re in need of something restorative, we prescribe our Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup for your dinner tonight.
Serves: Six to eight
Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed and strained
- 2 eggs
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded chicken
Heat a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium heat, adding the olive oil. Sauté the carrots and celery for about five minutes, until they begin to soften, then pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Add in the rice and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cooking for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat the two eggs and add in the lemon juice. When the rice is cooked, ladle out some broth and slowly pour it into the egg mixture, while stirring. Pour the warmed egg mixture into the soup and stir.
Add in the parsley, shredded chicken and salt and pepper, to taste.