Here are five surprising things which you may not know about travel insurance. Discover what you are actually covered for while away on your holiday.
1. When hiring a car, do you need to pay for rental car insurance? The answer is “it depends”. Your existing motor vehicle insurance policy may cover rental cars, but make sure that you read the fine print on your policy or call your insurance company ahead of time to check the details.
If you are sharing the driving of the rental car with someone who’s not included on your regular insurance, make sure that person has their own coverage before saying no to rental car insurance.
2. Insurance policies covering terrorism are becoming more common, but be aware that many companies will only pay out claims if the terrorist incident happens in the same city which you are visiting. If you are in a neighbouring town or municipality your insurance may be invalid.
3. Pre-existing conditions clauses trip up many travellers and it seems that many insurance companies have so many loopholes to worm their way out of paying any claims. Something as simple as changing medications during the previous few months can affect a claim. But be aware that the pre-existing conditions of your travel companions can also have an effect on any claim you may make – if you have to cancel your trip due to an emergency involving a pre-existing condition, your claim won’t be paid.
4. In some insurance companies’ eyes, when you cancel a flight and then pay the fee to rebook it so you can go another time, then it’s not really cancelled. Your airline will endeavour to get you to agree to pay the change fee and if you do, you forfeit your chance to a claim for reimbursement.
5. If you fall sick prior to your trip and your doctor judges you unfit to travel, you must not travel as you will not be covered by your travel insurance policy.
Have you had any nasty surprises when making a claim on your travel insurance policy? Do you think that insurance companies need to be more upfront about what they will and will not pay?
SAVE on your Travel Insurance
Get a FREE Travel Insurance Quote below and a 10% discount when you purchase online.